Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Dining Services


  • Are students required to have a meal plan, or can I have a housing contract only?

    A Resident Meal Plan (formerly called a Residence Dining Account/RDA) is a required part of the Housing and Dining Financial Contract, except for students not subject to the Freshman Live In Requirement (FLIR), described in WAC 504-24-030, and living in McEachern or Orton Halls. Additionally, a student who has sophomore standing or above (Running Start credits are not counted), and has attended WSU for at least 1 year, may choose not to participate in a plan.   

  • Can I eat in the Dining Services facilities if I live off-campus?

    Yes. All Dining Services facilities on campus accept Cougar CASH, as well as debit and credit. Use your Cougar CASH account in the on-campus Dining Services facilities, and you will realize significant savings. Cougar CASH is accepted in all Dining Service facilities, including the residence dining centers, markets, espresso bars, Carlita's Mexican Grille, and Freshëns. Click here for more information on Cougar CASH

  • Can I use my meal plan in the campus markets and espresso bars?

    Yes. With a Resident Meal Plan (formerly called a Residence Dining Account/RDA), students can make purchases at a variety of dining locations.

    You will receive the best value at our three dining centers, which all offer a 40% meal plan discount. For this reason, we recommend you purchase the majority of your meals at the centers. These locations are:

    • Hillside Café
    • Northside Café
    • Southside Café

    For more occasional purchases, you can also choose from a variety of on-campus dining options that offer a 10% discount. These locations include:

    • Carlita's Mexican Grille
    • Freshëns Fresh Food Studio at the Chinook
    • Flix Express late-night delivery to residence halls
    • Flix Market
    • The Market on Cougar Way
    • Einstein Bros. Bagels
    • Lighty Espresso
    • Northside Espresso
    • Flix Espresso
    • Starbucks (located in the Spark Building)
  • What type of meal plan discount will I receive at Hillside Café, Northside Café, and Southside Café?

    With a Resident Meal Plan (formerly called a Residence Dining Account/RDA), you will receive a 40% discount when you dine at our three dining centers: 

    • Hillside Café
    • Northside Café
    • Southside Café
  • Do my Dining Dollars carry over from one semester to the next semester?

    Dining Dollars will be carried over from fall semester to spring and from spring to the following fall only if you stay in the residence hall system and purchase a meal plan. Since the Resident Meal Plan (formerly called a Residence Dining Account/RDA) is not accepted in the summer, the balance is not carried over from spring semester to summer semester.

  • What are the hours of operation for Dining Services during breaks and holidays?

    Northside Café, Hillside Café and Southside Café are closed during official school breaks, such as Thanksgiving, semester break, and spring break. During academic breaks, some limited dining options are available on campus. For the most up to date information regarding break hours, please refer to

  • What dining options does Dining Services offer?

    Hillside Café, Northside Café, and Southside Café serve a full range of great tasting, wholesome foods. Menus vary and include familiar items, as well as bold flavors inspired by cuisines from around the world. Customizable, cooked-to-order options are always available. Every day, all dining centers feature a fresh salad bar for lunch and dinner. Vegetarian and vegan options are available in each dining facility. Other options available daily include made-to-order grilled sandwiches, pizza, deli sandwiches, and wraps.

  • Is there food available outside standard meal times?

    While not all options are available at all times, there are a variety of food items available throughout the day. Use the GET app to see what is currently available to order from our dining locations. Bites Grab and Go items are available at the espresso bars and markets. Late Night delivery or pick up options are available using Dining Services' GET app or its mobile-friendly website.

  • How can I find out what is on the menu?

    For the Spring 2021 semester, most options at the dining centers are ordered online with the GET app. You can use the app to view daily menus and order. You can also use the GET app to view menus and order from other campus dining locations.

    Each dining facility has a combination of digital and posted menus in the units. Additionally, daily menus are available on each dining center webpage: 


  • Are there opportunities for employment with Dining Services?

    Yes! Dining Services is proud to be the largest employer of students on campus. We have a variety of employment opportunities available to students. You can browse open positions and submit applications online at Handshake. You may also print applications and submit them to any manager at any dining services facility.

  • Are there options available to me if I require a special diet?

    Dining Services provides a wide variety of food to meet individual nutritional needs and preferences. If you have questions or concerns about nutrition or special diets, our staff dietitian is available for individual diet counseling, group discussions, and presentations. Contact Alice Ma, Dining Service's registered dietitian, at (509) 335-4785.

  • Is there anything other than salads I can eat if I am a vegetarian?

    Dining Services has a strong commitment to providing plant-based options to meet the needs of our guests. Vegetarian and vegan options are available daily throughout our dining locations.

  • What Dining Services facility can I use if I have a physical disability?

    All of the residence dining facilities are ADA accessible.

  • Can I order catering, cakes, or cookies for special events?

    Anyone can order special cakes or catering from Dining Services. Just contact the Catering Scheduler at 509-335-3570. Additionally, cakes can be ordered online for pickup in as little as two days.

  • How do I access the money in my dining account and find out what my balance is?

    For Spring 2021, we encourage you to use the GET app for touchless payment. Each time you use your CougarCard or the GET app to purchase food with your meal plan, the purchase is deducted from your account and the register will show you the balance left on your account. You can also use GET to quickly check your balance and add funds if needed. More information can be found here. You can also log in to your account on My WSU, select 'finances' from the navigation menu, and click on 'view activity' under your account. Click here to visit My WSU

  • How do I add money to my dining account?
  • How do I reduce/increase my meal plan level?

    Students select one dining account level on their Housing and Dining Contract application. If you find you have selected the wrong level, you can change your dining account level. You must change it before the end of the eighth week of classes each semester. Please keep in mind, changing your meal plan will change your payment schedule.

  • Which meal plan should I choose?

    We suggest that you make your decision based on how often you plan to eat in the residence dining facilities, how often you plan to use your Dining Dollars (formerly called RDA Dollars) in the markets and espresso bars, what kind of food you plan to eat (items are individually priced), and how often you plan to go home on weekends. Level 2 is the most commonly selected account level.

    Click here to learn more about the Resident Meal Plan and assess what level is best for you.

  • What are Dining Dollars and how can I use them?

    When you select a dining account level on your Housing and Dining contract, a portion of the cost is allocated to overhead and the remainder becomes spendable Dining Dollars (formerly called RDA Dollars). You can use your Dining Dollars to purchase food from our campus dining locations. You will receive a 40% discount at our three dining centers: Northside, Hillside, and Southside Cafés. You can also spend Dining Dollars in the markets, espresso bars, Carlita’s, Freshens, Einstein Bagels, and Flix Café. You will receive a 10% discount at these locations.

  • How many meals do I receive per week?

    The Resident Meal Plan (formerly called a Residence Dining Account) does not operate on a per-meal basis. You receive Dining Dollars that you can use in any dining facility. Each item is individually priced, so the number of meals your funds cover is determined by how many times you eat in the residence dining facilities, the price of the items, how often you use the markets and espresso bars, and the dining account level you choose on your Housing and Dining Contract application.

  • What if I have Dining Dollars left over at the end of the semester?

    If you have Dining Dollars (formerly called RDA Dollars) left in your dining account, you can use your remaining funds to purchase grocery items in the campus markets. You may also donate your remaining funds to students in need through the Cougs Feeding Cougs Program. Click here to learn more about Cougs Feeding Cougs.

    Additionally, you can contact Dining Service managers for assistance in making larger-quantity food purchases.

    Remember, your account balance will be carried over from fall semester to spring semester, and from spring semester to fall semester, ONLY if you stay in the residence hall system and purchase a meal plan. Since the Resident Meal Plan (formerly called the Residence Dining Account/RDA) is not accepted in the summer, your balance is not carried over from spring semester to summer semester.

  • Will I be able to pay for a guest to eat in the Dining Services facilities?

    You can pay for a guest's meal in the Dining Centers with your meal plan as long as you accompany the guest to the cash register. The account holder is the only one who can use their dining account. Cougar CASH is also accepted in all Dining Services facilities, including the residence Dining Centers and campus markets, Dining Services espresso bars, and Carlita's Mexican Grille. 

  • I lost my CougarCard. Can I still use my meal plan to eat?

    Yes. You can use the GET app to pay with your mobile device, or you can see a Dining Services manager at any dining center to obtain a Temporary Meal Pass. Temporary Meal Passes are valid for one business day (and if you lose your CougarCard on Friday, a Temporary Meal Pass will be valid through Monday), so you'll need to replace your CougarCard ASAP. You will have instant access to your dining account on your replacement CougarCard. Keep your CougarCard safe! Only three Temporary Meal Passes are allowed per semester.

  • Can I use Cougar CASH at the dining locations?

    Yes. Students, staff, faculty, and community members can pay at WSU dining locations using Cougar CASH. It is the convenient, cashless way to pay at the area's most popular businesses and services on and near campus. View the CougarCard website for more information about Cougar CASH.

  • Who should I contact if I have questions about my dining account?

    If you have general questions about how the account works, hours of operation, and where it can be used, please contact Dining Services at (509) 335-5498 or If you have financial questions about your account, please contact Housing and Dining Financial Services at (509) 335-8625 or e-mail

  • How do I get the most value out of my meal plan?

    The dining centers extend a 40% discount on all purchases made with the Resident Meal Plan (formerly called the Residence Dining Account/RDA). Dining at Hillside Café, Northside Café and Southside Café will provide the most purchasing power from your Dining Dollars. While Dining Dollars also accepted at markets, espresso bars, Flix, Einstein Bagels, and Carlita's, these locations offer a 10% discount and should be occasional purchases.